• Advertisement

need to upgrade Router 3845 to 12.4(15)T need document how to Pls.?

This is for more general topics about networking and vendors.

Re:need to upgrade Router 3845 to 12.4(15)T need document how to Pls.?

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:20 pm

Mike

I am glad that my answers were helpful. Thank you for using the rating system to indicate that your question was resolved (and thanks for the rating). It makes the forum more useful when people can read about a question and can know that they will read responses which successfully resolved the question.

The forum is an excellent place to learn about Cisco networking. I encourage you to continue your participation in the forum.

HTH

Rick

Advertisement

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:26 pm

Rick,

I have a problem and thought you guys might be able to give me a hint.

I am trying to use SolarWind TFTP Server to upgarde this image c3845-advipservicesk9-mz.124-15.T3.bin

its size is 50MB

and i get error. TFTP server says the file size id too big for TFTP Protocol?

what else can I use to get this done?

Thx,

Mike

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:26 pm

Mike

I am sorry that you have run into this difficulty. I do have 2 suggestions to make. As the images get larger it becomes more of an advantage to use FTP rather than TFTP. So my first suggestion is to use FTP rather than TFTP if you have or can get an FTP server. There is an FTP server in the 3Cdaemon software which is free and I have used it with good success.

Or if getting an FTP server is an issue then I would suggest a different TFTP server. I have heard good things about the server available at:

http://tftpd32.jounin.net/

I have not used it myself but I have told that it gets around the large file problem.

HTH

Rick

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:55 pm

Rick,

i have WS-FTP installed on my machine an dcan use that.

what is the commands for FTP? i have not used FTP to upgarde router/switch or any IOS yet!

I appreciate your help.

Regards,

Mike

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:15 pm

Mike

The basic command is quite similar to the tftp command. Use:

copy ftp: flash:

as the basic command and follow the prompts to give address of the FTP server and the file name. The thing that makes FTP different from TFTP is that FTP has a user ID and password. There are at least 2 ways to accommodate the ID and password when using copy ftp on an IOS router. You can configure in the router a name and a password for FTP, they become part of the configuration, and the router will use these in its copy request. I frequently prefer to do this but you do not have to. There is also a possibility to append the ID and password after the ftp: in the copy command.

HTH

Rick

PreviousNext

• Advertisement