OSPF over PIX w/ 6.2

Firewalls, PIX, ASA, VPN, Access Control List, User Authentication, Data Encryption and Best Practices.

OSPF over PIX w/ 6.2

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:10 pm

Ok 6.3 code is out of the question for this example. I am looking for any solutions for 6.2 code only. Thanks in advance!Here is the setup:(in)r1--->area 1 |PIX| area 1 ---->(out)r2--->s0/0--area 0r1 is in AS 1 , r2 is in AS 2 and has area 0 off of s0/0 interface. r1 also has area 2 off of s0/0 interface. I am looking for examples on how to run OSPF from r1 to r2 with r1 being in area 2 and r2 being in area 0 without using a GRE tunnel. I could redistribute OSPF thru BGP but would this be the best/only solution..? Any suggestions would be great.

Re:OSPF over PIX w/ 6.2

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:50 pm

I had exactly the same application also based on pix 6.2. I ended up using BGP through the firewall, as that was the only solution that offered the route filtering as well. The customer considerd the GRE as a bit too risky for his security application, so BGP it was.Then when 6.3 came along life got a bit easier.

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:00 pm

Thanks for your reply! To follow up.. How were you able to apply a virtual-link to either side? And lets say "all" options are open is there any other way that you know of to allow OSPF thru the PIX in with this setup?thanks- Jeff

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:32 pm

Jeff,In the solution I implemented BGP was the only routing protocol passed through the firewall. Initially I tried to set the PIX up to allow traffic through thinking I could use the OSPF neighbour feature so the routers could see each other. This failed, as that feature also uses multicast traffic, which the PIX drops.So in the end I redistributed OSPF into BGP, tunneled the routing information through the firewall and redistributed back into OSPF. I didnt try using a virtual link, but as OSPF relies heavily on multicast traffic I'm sure such a link would fail also. Virtual links are often described as `tunnels' but that is intended to promote understanding of the concept, they only operate within contiguous OSPF networks.6.3 sounding attractive yet??

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:53 pm

thanks for the feedback!