cannot use Internet on VPN connection

Firewalls, PIX, ASA, VPN, Access Control List, User Authentication, Data Encryption and Best Practices.

cannot use Internet on VPN connection

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:36 pm

Hello,I have used a cisco client ver. 4.0.3 installed in my laptop to connect to VPN server.When my VPN client is connected to a remote VPN server through wired LAN at my site office, I cannot use Internet at the same time. I have understanded that this could not be possible unless "split tunnel" is allowed in the server side. When I connect to the server through Wi-Fi network at the same office, I can use Internet. It caused me to confuse, so I checked the default gateway IP address of my network using the "ipconfig" command. It showed the two IP address 10.100.128.1 and 10.100.128.2 for the wireless network connection, and one IP address 10.69.225.70 for the wired network connection. How can you explin the above two situation? Did the two default gateways allow me to use Internet when my client is connected to the server through the wi-Fi network??? Did the disable "split tunnel" function in the VPN server block me form using Internet, connecting to the server through the wired network??? I don't think so. Why??When my client is connected to VPN server through the Wi-Fi home network at my home which has only one default gateway, 192.168.0.1. I don't have any problem with using Internet. How can you explain this weird situation??? I really want to use Internet through both a wired and wireless network at other site office which have only one gateway respectively. Could you explain on this?Thanks you so much...Jae

Re:cannot use Internet on VPN connection

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:42 pm

Hi Jae    Things would get more odd when you use a really old verion of VPN client. I sugesst you to add the following command in VPN endpoint if it doesnt exist  crypto isakmp nat-traversal 20    Second thing is, make sure your access point supports VPN passthrough, if it supports then make sure it is enabled    Third and the most important, uninstall currently installed VPN client software and install a 5.x versionRegards

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:16 pm

Thanks, can you more explain about "crypto isakmp nat-traversal 20".  I am not sure what is it and where to put it?I think I enabled VPN passthrough at the router because I can always make connection to VPN server.I'll try new version...Thanks...Jae

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:25 pm

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:35 pm

Hello,I downloaded VPN client 5.0 free posted from some university, (not my company) website on Internet. After installing the program, host name, connection entry, other setting of the univeristy are shown and populated in. so I changed it to my company own setting and then try to connect to the VPN server. But it doesn't get connected. The program said that "no connected". Where should I download VPN client 5.0. Is there anything to know before I install it. I mean should I download and install a VPN client distributed by our company? Thanks for your help...Jae