• Advertisement

Wireless Network Design

Configuring Wireless Cisco Networks and Wireless Controllers.

Re:Wireless Network Design

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:01 am

Hi, the problem I can see with doing that is that I will need to specify which interface to use for the SSID. If I use the management interface then I cannot specify on that interface the correct DHCP server used at each site. And... If I use a different interface for each site then it also won't work because the VLANs at each site have the same ID!! It seems that each interface needs a unique VLAN ID.

Any ideas?

Advertisement

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:15 am

Not in H-REAP... the WLAN SSID you create on the controller will always be set to the management interface.  This is how the AP and WLC will communicate.  When you enable loacal switching, then you have the ability to map that ssid to a local vlan.  I'm currently deploying 90 ap's in h-reap with 27 sites and 2 4404's at the core.  I have 7 ssids and using wlan override.  DHCP is local on the remote site and I'm using the same vlan id for mapping the ssid.  Local native vlan for the ap is also the same throughout, but of couse the subnets are different.  It is a bit different how you look at what interface you have to map the ssid to especially when doing h-reap. 

Look at it this way... only when you have traffic comming back to the WLC and the WLC putting the traffic back on the network is when the interface mapping is important... like in a normal LWAPP install.

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:40 am

Fella,

I would like to ask you a question offline ... can you email me?

gstefanick@infologix.com

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:40 am

Hi, I have found your advice very helpful and also I have found that luckily my circumstance has been resolved by luck. It was only the voice VLAN that was provided with IP addresses locally at the remote sites. All other data VLANs IP adresses(at each site) were provided by 1 central DHCP server which was set on the management interface.

My only real point of confusion is whether this would have been a problem if each site had it's own DHCP server. Surely each site needs to specify it's own DHCP server in it's interface if it's DHCP server is different right? Does H-REAP mean that clients ignore the DHCP setting on the interface and obtain IP addresses locally?

I really hope this is not s stupid question!

Thanks for your help

DH

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:47 am

When you set an AP to H-REAP, the interface you set the SSID to does not matter.  What matters is what vlan you set on the AP when you configure the ap in H-REAP.  Since the SSID you created will be set to local switching, the AP will place user traffic in whatever vlan you map the ssid to locally.  So if you have vlan 10 (192.168.10.x) for voice and vlan 20 (192.168.20.x) for data and you only have these two wlan, then you most likely will put the AP's management interface on native vlan 20 and locally switch the ssid for data to vlan 20.  Vlan 20 locally at the remote site will need to have a DHCP scope to provide users with ip address.

Let me know if this helps or not.

PreviousNext

• Advertisement