• Advertisement

HSRP load-balancing ?

Static, RIP, EIGRP, OSPF, BGP, IBGP, IS-IS and any other routing.

HSRP load-balancing ?

Postby Guest » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:10 pm

Hi,

I understand that when configuring HSRP for load-balancing we use two HSRP groups and subsequently have two different HSRP IP addresses for each of the groups. Therefore, from a PC's perspective there are two different gateway addresses to be configured.

My question is: Can a DHCP server be configured to supply 2 different gateway addresses to the PC's ?

If the PC's are allowed to receive two different gateway IP addresses what underlying method does the PC use to change from one gateway to the other ?

Cheers,

Phil.

Advertisement

Re:HSRP load-balancing ?

Postby Guest » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:26 pm

Actually, the load-balancing concept in HRSP is having the Active HSRP balanced between the two or more routers.  for example, you have ten vlans, usually the one router is active for odd vlans and the otehr router for even vlans.

Postby Guest » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:54 pm

Another alternative to what Roberto stated above is to configure 2 HSRP groups for every VLAN and make one router the active for one group and standby for the 2nd group and the opposite on the 2nd router.

There's a good example at the following link.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk362/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080094e90.shtml

Pls. rate all helpful posts.

HTH,

Sundar

Postby Guest » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:59 pm

Sundar,

This alternative that you mention is what my original most was about. i.e using 2 HSRP groups for every Vlan would require 2 HSRP IP addresses.

Hence the PC's need to point to one of 2 different gateway addresses should one of the switches fail.

My original question was how this is achieved ?

Regards,

Phil.

Postby Guest » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:05 pm

I don't know if you looked at the CCO link I had on my previous post.

Anyway, that example has 2 routers configured with 2 HSRP groups. R1 is the active router for 1 group with a standby IP of 171.16.6.100 and R2 is the active router for the 2nd group with a standby IP of 171.16.6.200. Half the hosts on the LAN will use 171.16.6.100 as their default gateway and the other half will use 171.16.6.200 as their gateway. Should one of the switches become unreachable the standby router should take over and route all the traffic.

This solution provides load balancing + redundancy for your LAN.

HTH,

Sundar

Next

• Advertisement