Device config deployment to replacement hardware

MIBS, SMMPv1, SMMPv2, SMMPv3 and management

Re:Device config deployment to replacement hardware

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

Hello Mr. Clarke, related question to this thread : Can LMS show the password hashes when doing either a View Config or Edit Config for a device ?I'm trying to manually copy/paste a config from LMS to another device (via console port), and all the various passwords show up as stars. Any way around this ?Thanks, Alex.

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:10 pm

You need to click on the various starred links to view the clear text passwords.What might be easier for you is not to use the GUI at all, but rather to open the latest configurations from the shadow directory.  You can then either copy and paste as you're doing now, or copy those configs to the server's tftpboot directory, and deploy them directly.  The shadow directory is under NMSROOT/files/rme/dcma on Windows and /var/adm/CSCOpx/files/rme/dcma on Solaris.  Configs in that directory are indexed first by device type, then by display name.

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:37 pm

ahhh.. I knew it was possible to show the password hashes... but it's cumbersome as you implied. Thanks for the tip for the shadow directory. I'll try to see if I can make a simple process based on that. Is it possible to script custom actions in LMS ? Thanks!

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:48 pm

Some scripting can be done in certain LMS applications.  However, if you're talking about CLI scripting, there are some commands you can roll into scripts.  In this case, you'd be interested in looking at the documentation for cwcli.

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:08 pm

Is "Config Engine" a Solutions Engine-based appliance with "Config Engine" sw?