• Advertisement

When Cisco's own answers are false

CCNA, CCDA, CCNP, CCDP, CCIP, CCVP and CCIE

When Cisco's own answers are false

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:16 am

Marcel Felix, you will join me in this fight...

The VLAN quiz asks, which of the following are true about VTP.  I disagreed on these:

A. Required for proper VLAN operation.

(I say no, since tain't REQUIRED, just darn handy).  Answer guide says YES.

C. Changes need to be made only to a server in the network.

(I say yes, since the VTP server propagates and the clients listen.  Answer guide says NO.)

F. VTP requires a domain name to operate.

(I say yes, answer guide says NO).

Though I'm pretty certain that the answer guide probably just wasn't proofread, since Cisco Press's policy is to never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever proofread a single line of text before sending it off to the printer's, and since they also require that each of their textbooks contain a minimum of two errors per page, I still worry if I'm going to run into **** like this on the exam.

"Gotcha! We didn't say 'VTP server,' all we said was 'server'.   Coulda been an HP Integrity server for all you know! Ten points off..."

VTP - _required_ for proper ops, or not?

Domain name required for VTP, or not?

(I ask because it now occurs to me that maybe the answer key was right and that the text itself wasn't proofread.)

Advertisement

Re:When Cisco's own answers are false

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:40 am

Hi,

I won't go into the discussion of study material accuracy ..:-)

However, the answer to your question is: Yes, a VTP domain name is required for proper operation of VTP.

However, there is a catch:

- Switches in VTP transparent mode do not exchange VTP messages with other switches, and you do not need to configure a VTP domain name for them.

- also do not configure a VTP domain if all switches are operating in VTP client mode.

- when you have a VTP server and a number of clients, you must configure all switches in the VTP domain with the same domain name.

- If a switch is configured as a VTP server without a VTP domain name, you can not configure a VLAN on it.

When a switch receives a VTP advertisement packet, it compares the VTP domain name to its own VTP domain name. If the name is different, the switch simply ignores the packet.

My conclusion is that C is true.

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

By default, the VTP domain has a NULL setting so

Re:When Cisco's own answers are false

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:58 pm

Sounds like you are upset about a Cisco Press title and one of its practice quizzes - that correct? 

Can you provide me the Title and ISBN please?

Did the previous reply to this post give you the information you needed?

• Advertisement