• Advertisement

Book review wanted

CCNA, CCDA, CCNP, CCDP, CCIP, CCVP and CCIE

Book review wanted

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:36 am

As I gear up to pass BSCI by the end of May, I want to get as much hands-on experience as I can.  I already have the Sybex study guide and ExamCram, as well as the old BSCN textbook.  It doesn't seem to make sense to replace the BSCN book since the new edition adds only ISIS (amply covered in my other books) and doesn't even mention NAT, a MAJOR tanking point when I last took BSCI.

There's a handful of hands-on config-type exercises in Sybex and BSCN, but I want to do as many hands-on exercises as possible - especially since I've invested so much into my nine-router study lab.

Has anyone gotten a hold of CCNP Practical Studies Routing, by Henry Benjamin (ISBN 1587200546)?  Good stuff?  Worth the $36.04 Amazon gets for it?

Advertisement

Re:Book review wanted

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:35 am

If you search ciscopress.com with the ISBN number of the old BSCN book, you can download ISIS supplementary chapter. If you search the new Pacquet BSCI Self Study book, there is a sample chapter which covers IPV6 and NAT with Routemap.

The labs in Routing Practical Studies are quite though provoking - after you finished all the labs in the BSCN book. The only problem is this book has a huge errata document (ciscopress.com). I marked up the entire book (took me a few hours but worth the work) before using it, and this book definitely belped me understand (as opposed to memorize). I passed on first attempt and scored 887. I also used the Cisco Press Cert Guide.

Best wishes.

• Advertisement